Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Foodie

My name is Josh Thompson, and I am a foodie.

A while back, I read an article about how food and cooking are somehow essential to retaining sanity in graduate school. Although I’m sure that beer also plays a significant role, I really agreed with this article. This is where I would add a link to the word “article” if I could actually find it.

I have to admit a particular love for hot foods: Rarely has a week gone by in which I haven’t painfully lavished in the sweet burn of a cheap tray of hot wings or added caustic amounts of Cholula or hot peppers to an otherwise normal dish. Beyond that, I just love food. (*audible gasp from audience*) I know, I know, my figure clearly suggests otherwise, but yes, I assure you that it is true. (*audible “oooooooh” sound of enlightenment from the audience*) I’ve found that if you shop often for sale items and stock up, it’s really quite easy to eat well and cook really great foods.

Recently, I made Saganaki, which is an absolutely fantastic Greek dish that I first had at Manos in Toledo about 5 years ago. I’ve always wanted to make it and Jackie had the perfect sized pan, so we went for broke (after purchasing a new fire extinguisher, of course).

Unable to do anything normally or easily, I felt obligated to videotape it, and later added a sound track. I chose a brief moment of music that is as beautiful as it is startling... the “let there be LIGHT!!!” moment from The Creation by Joseph Haydn. We had some feta lying around, so we tried that first. It actually turned out better than the kasseri cheese we had purchased, which is apparently the more traditional cheese for this dish. I lightly sprinkled some flour on both sides, quickly browned each side in about a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil in a hot cast iron skillet. After a brief 5-7-minute bake in a 350° oven, that puppy was ready to BURN. Dramatically served with sliced bread. Enjoy!



There. A sizable entry with relatively little content. This is a blog, doing what a blog does. Thank you for your time and attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment